If I could apologize
To the Honorable Ilhan Abdullahi Omar, United States House of Representatives representing the 5th District of Minnesota,
If I could apologize for how Americans have treated you this week, where would I begin?
- I apologize for being part of a privileged “white” tribe that thinks itself superior to all others.
- I apologize for being part of a privileged “white” tribe that systematically denies “colored” tribes those same privileges.
- I apologize for Americans who have no compassion for refugees, even when they wash up on Mediterranean beaches or the shores of the Rio Grande, or especially when they become elected representatives of the 5th District of Minnesota.
- I apologize for Americans who hate (or fear) immigrants and cannot remember that they or their ancestors were once immigrants themselves.
- I apologize for Americans who think Muslims are terrorists.
- I apologize for Americans who really think they pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps.
- I apologize for Christians who cross to the other side of the road and refuse to recognize their Luke 10:25 neighbors.
- I apologize for Christians who think Islam is a threat to America’s security.
- I apologize for Christians who think Muslims are destined for hell unless they convert to their peculiar flavor of fundamentalism.
- I apologize for Christians who stake an exclusive claim on morality and family values and yet worship an amoral Donald Trump.
- I apologize for Christians who have fashioned the American flag and the English Bible into their golden calf, who mask their idolatry by calling it patriotism.
- I apologize for Christians who are devoted to apartheid Israel and yearn for Apocalypse.
- I apologize for Christians who do not care that you care that apartheid Israel has dispersed, dispossessed, and disrespected millions of Palestinians .
- I apologize for racist Americans who think your skin is too dark.
- I apologize for xenophobic Americans who fear how you honor your Muslim and Somalian traditions.
- I apologize for misogynistic Americans who think women should be silent and submissive.
- I apologize for ignorant Americans who think you do not belong here, that you should go back to the land you left.
- I apologize for American men who must prove their masculinity by bullying women.
- I apologize for American politicians who think fascism is the path to power, and that power trumps morality.
- I apologize for Americans who think Trump and his quisling GOP will make America a great “white” tribe again.
- I apologize for not knowing where or how to end this list…
- I apologize, I apologize, I apologize.
Monsieur Jacques d’Nalgar, Vendredi (Dieu merci!), Le 19 juillet 2019 à l’ère commune.
Photo of Rep. Ilhan Omar by Tom Williams (CQ Roll Call via Getty Images). https://www.dailywire.com/news/44155/top-democrat-foreign-affairs-committee-condemns-ashe-schow